Thursday 8 March 2012

apple and cinnamon muffins - 'appins'

Recipe: Apple and cinnamon muffins - 'appins' · Kitchen & Aroma


I have a confession to make; these are my I-need-to-manipulate-my-hubby muffins. If I don't have time to bake his favourite, the apple cake, then I can always make these, as the recipes are similar, and have my way with him. Well, sort of, he's not that easily manipulated! By the way, he calls these appins. All jokes aside, these muffins are very easy to make and if I remember correctly I put the recipe together for a Sunday brunch. Everyone in this household finds them delicious and I make them frequently. I always use one teaspoon of cinnamon and I don't think the taste is too dominant. Use less if you're sensitive to its taste. I have added a few baking options below the list of ingredients if you would like to pop them up. If using regular baking powder one teaspoon is enough.

APPLE AND CINNAMON MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS

  • 200 g spelt flour (1½ cup)
  • 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ½-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg, free-range/organic
  • 1 egg white (from a large egg)
  • 100 g organic raw cane sugar (½ cup)
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 large red apples, peeled and grated coarsely

Optional: You can use less cinnamon and/or add some ground ginger or nutmeg instead, or both. Sometimes I add a handful of chopped pecans and I have used raisins. If you really want to treat yourself then add 20 g of chopped organic dark chocolate and skip one tablespoon of maple syrup.

METHOD

  1. In a medium bowl, combine the spelt flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon. Set aside
  2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg white, sugar, maple syrup and coconut oil (if the oil is solid, place the jar in a bowl of hot water before use)
  3. Peel the apples and remove the seeds. Grate the apples using a coarse grater and then add them to the egg and sugar blend and mix with a spatula
  4. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently. Make sure not to stir, the texture of the dough should be light
  5. Lightly grease a silicone muffin pan with some coconut oil and fill each muffin cup about two-thirds to the rim (makes 12 muffins)
  6. Bake at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 for 22-25 minutes
  7. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the tins for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack

Pin It button on image hover